Saturday, April 12, 2014

Marfa, The Most Magical Place

       I'm moving to Marfa!....Not really, but I wish. As some of you know, I'm about to complete Masters degree in Museum and Exhibition Studies this May. Last weekend, the college of Architecture and the Arts at UIC took a group of qualified students to Marfa, TX to visit the Donald Judd and Chinati Foundations. I can say with pure honesty that it was one of the most magical and beautifully surprising experiences of my life.
       Marfa is the best kept secret around. In fact, in order to keep this little secret, I considered NOT writing a blog post, sharing pictures on Facebook, AND not telling anyone about it general...ever. But alas, my experience was so thrilling that I can't help but share it. What the heck is Marfa you may ask? Marfa is a small town about 1.6 square miles, seated in the middle of the Chihuahuan Desert in the Southwest corner of Texas. In the 1970s minimalist artist Donald Judd acquired property in Marfa with the intention of creating artwork that fulfilled his philosophy on art and making. Judd believed that art should be made in conjunction with a specific environment and should remain where is was created (or rather installed) instead of moving around the world to different museums and galleries. Marfa is now home to the Chinati Foundation, whose mission is to maintain a place for large scale installations created by artists invited there by Judd. Chinati holds permanent work by artists such as Dan Flavin, Claus Oldenburg, Roni Horn, John Wesley, Zoe Leonard, and of course by Donald Judd. 
       The town of Marfa itself is beautiful and quaint, the weather is delightful in the Spring, and the people are warm and friendly. I truly cannot wait to go back to this magical place! In the meantime, here are some photos I took (sadly only with my iPhone so don't hate).


















       

No comments:

Post a Comment